Notice is hereby sent to the vision scientists, eye care professionals and relevant individuals to submit abstracts for posters and paper presentation for the 2017 scientific conference of the Nigerian Optometric Association holding at SIO Event Center, Benin City from 5th – 8th July, 2017. Papers and posters may include original research results, new and innovative diagnostic procedures or treatments and case studies. For active clinicians and residents, there is proposed a section for clinical grand rounds for interesting and outstanding case presentations.
Guidelines for preparation of abstracts
- Presenting authors must be registered participants and attend the meeting.
- Abstracts must be original work of the authors. Authors must declare, while submitting the abstract if any part of the result had been previously submitted for publication or presented at any conference other than this meeting in which case the citation to the previous presentation/publication should be clearly stated.
- All abstract for paper and poster presentation must be in English.
- All conflicts of interest must be fully disclosed as should all sources of funding for the study where applicable.
- Authors must guarantee the study complied with appropriate ethical standards and the Review Committee could request for institutional ethical clearance if it deemed it necessary.
- Please indicate in your submission if your abstract is for oral or poster presentation. Notwithstanding your preference, the Review Committee reserves the right to assign an abstract as it deems appropriate.
- Abstracts must have a cover page which contains the following: full title of the presentation, full name(s) and affiliations of all contributing author(s), full contact information including phone number, email and postal address.
- Abstract should not exceed 350 words (excluding the cover page) and should not be less than 200 words.
- Abstract could be structured or unstructured. In any case, the abstract should clearly communicate the aim and objectives of the study, the methodology employed in the study, results and conclusions reached so as to guide reviewers as to the appropriateness of the proposed presentation. Note that the review process is to select the best proposals and therefore reviewers are not at liberty to communicate with prospective authors on the content of their proposals or other such corrections to improve on their proposals. The onus is entirely on prospective author(s) to ensure that the proposal is of the quality to meet selection.
- Abstracts for case presentations/grand rounds should typical highlight patient’s clinical presentations, clinical assessment and diagnosis, treatment/follow-up and outcomes. Use only standard abbreviations and metric system in measurements. Use generic names of drugs rather than trade names.
- Each paper presentation will typically be for 20 minutes. Authors must be ready to discuss their presentation during interaction/question time.
- Abstracts should be e-mailed as an attachment to the following:
Dr Godwin Ovenseri-Ogbomo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subject line: Abstract for NOA 2017
- Timeline for submission
Deadline for submission: April 1st, 2017
Communication of outcome: May 14th, 2017
Submission of complete power point and paper
(for preparation of CD and book of proceedings): May 31st, 2017
Dr Godwin Ovenseri-Ogbomo
Secretary, Education, Research and Publications Committee
Chair, Education Committee (Edo 2017)